Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympian Cheating

No, this isn't a rant about steroids or doping or whatever they're using this time around. I'm sure they're using it, but I'm talking about something else.

I just watched China vs U.S.A. basketball (which CBC had to show 90 times today, in its entirety). Is there anything to basketball anymore? Apparently a guy carrying the ball can just physically run over any defenceman in his path and it's the defenceman's fault for standing there. As well, travelling is just fine. Go ahead, take three, even four steps. No one will call you. I never liked basketball, with its pointlessly high scores. Now I just think its stupid. Can you even call it cheating if you just get rid of all the rules to turn the game in to a show-off slam dunk festival?

Then I watched water polo. What the ... ? The game seems to be predicated on two facts: the referee can't look under water for fouls; you should do your best to drown your opponents without getting caught. Seriously. The referee's whistle was blowing approximately every three or four seconds for a "minor" foul (drowning an opponent a little) and sending someone off every minute for a "major foul" (really drowning an opponent).

I'd rather watch swimming. At least you can't cheat at that ... well ... except for the drugs. But since I can't see the drugs, it doesn't bother me so much.

Recommend this PostProgressive Bloggers

No comments: